Thursday, July 15, 2010

JACL/AVL

I'm probably thinking about this too deeply, but that's how it goes when you're trying to write/avoid writing a dissertation...


I was just reading Victor Bascara's excellent 2003 article "Cultural Politics of Redress: Reassessing the Meaning of the Civil Liberties Act of 1988 After 9/11" about the Japanese American Redress Movement. Reading the name of the organization the Japanese American Citizens League (JACL) made me think immediately (sad, I know) of the AVL, or American Vampire League on True Blood. They even have their own website, complete with intolerance watch, a section for supporters, and even a listing of vampire-friendly brands! This supports my earlier contention that the show is self-consciously rooted in American cultural and social politics.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails