Wednesday, July 14, 2010

What's that word doing in a rock song? Joe Cocker edition

Now, Joe Cocker is a singer, not a song writer, so he's not entirely to blame for today's word: dawdled. 
I've actually only just learned that "Darling Be Home Soon" was originally a Lovin' Spoonful song, written by John Sebastian. 


It's actually really beautiful, and the line "for the great relief of having you to talk to" makes this song to me one of the paragons of love songs. But still, the interjection of "dawdled," rhymed a few lines later with "toddled" is giggle-worthy.


Here's the whole chorus:
So darling be home soon
I couldn't bear to wait an extra minute if you dawdled
My darling be home soon
It's not just these few hours but I've been waiting since I toddled
For the great relief of having you to talk to



Here's a portion of a live version by Joe Cocker, valuable for the fantastic footage. But do check out the recorded version on his Greatest Hits album - just gorgeous.



And here's a live version by John Sebastian at Woodstock.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails