Monday, November 15, 2010

From Minneapolis to Seattle

Last week academic research took me to Minneapolis, and this week I'm going to Seattle for a conference. So I thought I'd take you on a musical journey to those two fine cities.

I'm not going to go for the obvious, however. Yes, I love Prince. Never really got into Husker Du or The Replacements. But I'm a huge grunge and Riot Grrrl fan, and both cities fed my musical needs in the early 90s.

Minneapolis was home to the best babydoll-dress-wearing-rockers ever: Babes in Toyland.


Though I'd love to run into rock deity Kim Thayil, I actually fantasize about being on a plane (or in a coffee shop, bookstore, etc.), looking over and noticing a tattoo of a string of elephants wrapped around a woman's bicep, and saying, "Hey, Selene Vigil! I was a big fan of your band, 7 Year Bitch!"

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails